National Education Association (NEA) Teacher Ambassadors Project


I was recently selected by the National Education Association (NEA) to participate in the Teacher Ambassadors Project. This initiative is a partnership among the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (Smarter Balanced), the NEA, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), and WestEd, and is generously funded by the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust. Teacher Ambassadors from across the nation will learn how the Smarter Balanced Assessment System, including the formative assessment process, can be used to implement the Common Core State Standards. This project is the first formal partnership among Smarter Balanced, the NEA, and the AFT.


I am personally very excited to be part of this project, since it ties in all the work I have been doing with my colleagues at my school district and across the state (with the CTA Teacher Leadership Cohort). Almost two years ago, I was selected to be part of the Smarter Balanced Consortium. As an assessment writer, I received all my training through webinars and literature that was provided by Smarter Balanced. This training was unique in the sense that I was able to meet with them face-to-face. It was insightful to be with a room of teachers across the nation and listen to their questions, concerns, and perception of what is occurring in their state, thus far in implementation of the Common Core Standards. This component of the training was invaluable. It expanded my knowledge (especially the Q & A with Joe Willhoft, the executive director for the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium) of the Assessment System Components.


Me, Joe Willhoft (Executive Director for Smarter Balanced), and Julie Webb (fellow CTA Leadership Cohort Participant)


Julie Webb  and I met this summer at the CTA Leadership Cohort Training. She is also knowledgeable in CCSS and has a great blog with tons of resources. Please check it out: blog.litcentric.com
Here are just some of the topics we covered (I attached some links to the topics): 


It was two days filled with information and tons of resources that I am excited to share with the teachers that participate in the Common Core Cafe. I posted below some of our posters that we worked on during the trainings. 






No comments